3D Laser Scanning for Historical Documentation
Historical Documentation Using 3D Laser Scanning Services
3D laser scanning can be used for a variety of historical building engineering applications, from existing as-built drawings to plan for maintenance, to historical documentation of architecture and more. The non-intrusive nature of 3D laser scanning provides a hands-off means of cataloguing fragile and important historical sites and objects. The precise data collected can provide information on support analysis, design, and prefabrication.
TruePoint’s experienced scan technicians collect millions of precise data points for laser scanning architecture or site with industry-leading survey-grade Leica laser scanners. A team of in-house architects, engineers, and CAD Designers/Technicians work with each client to create custom deliverables that aid in the design, planning and execution phases of any project. TruePoint completes over 800 projects every year and has earned a reputation for delivering excellent service on time and on budget.
Our survey-grade Leica laser scanners not only offers additional benefits to the measurement professional, but also to the recipients and users of accurate spatial data sets. Civil engineers, plant designers, CAD professionals, architects, contractors, and owners / operators can all reap the cost and added-value benefits that 3D laser scanning provides.
Benefits of Laser Scanning for Historical Documentation
- Elimination of costly return visits to the site.
- More accurate, complete as-built surveys for retrofit design projects.
- Minimized construction rework due to interferences.
- Accurate measurements for in-field fabrication.
- Reduced facility downtime due to fast, unobtrusive scene capture.
- Minimal field assembly expedites data collection.
- Non-contact leaves architecture untouched.
- Safe way to measure buildings that are no longer structurally sound
- Point Cloud Data (Raw Data)
- 2D CAD Drawings
- 3D Non-Intelligent Models
- 3D BIM Models
- TruView - Free viewer with photos overlaid on point cloud
- Aerial Photogrammetry
- Comparative Analysis
- Deformation Analysis
- Digital Drawings of GPR Markings
- Floor Flatness Analysis/Contour Mapping
- New Construction Accuracy Analysis/Comparative Analysis
- Point Cloud Modeling Training Webinars
- Reconciliation of Clients 2D Design Drawings
- Reconciliation of Clients 3D Design Model
- Structural Steel Shape Probability Analysis
- Template Modeling
- Volume Calculations
- Wall Plumb Analysis
CAD Modeling Software
- Autodesk Recap
- Autodesk Revit
- Autodesk 3DS Max
- Autodesk Navisworks
- Autodesk Autocad Civil 3D
- Autocad Map 3D
- Bentley MicroStation
- Bentley Descrates V8i
- ClearEdge 3D Edgewise
- PointSense Kubit
- Leica Cyclone
TruePoint Has Provided 3D Laser Scanning Services for Many Clients
- Asset Managers
- Electrical Engineers
- Facility Owners
- Historical Preservationists
- Mechanical Engineers
- Project Managers
- Plumbing Engineers
- Structural Engineers
- 3D Gamers and Software Developers
TruePoint Has Provided 3D Laser Scanning Services for Many Industries
- Architectural and Historical Documentation
- Chemical and Petrochemical Plants
- Commercial Sites
- Health Care
- Industrial Facilities
- Manufacturing and Assembly Facilities
- Office Buildings
- Overhead Clearances
- Process Plants
- Power Plants
- Residential Sites
- Schools and Universities
- Stadiums, Arenas and Theaters
- Space and Aeronautics
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants
- 3D Gaming and Software Development
Each of these industries provide TruePoint unique opportunities to capture, analyze and define existing conditions through safe, non-contact means. We have saved clients millions of dollars in lost productivity and materials with accurate and complete models to aid in design, visualization, space definition, prefabrication and clash detection.
- "Our disciplines have been utilizing the Point Cloud and TruView information and it has been of value. We have discovered a few clashes with our structural steel, which may not have ever been caught, so I feel the service has already paid for itself."
- - Joseph G, P.E., Project Manager
- “We have been very pleased with the results of the scanning process. The product has been very useful. And has certainly helped in the development of the project. I would certainly use TruePoint again on future projects.”
- - John G., President and Principal Architect
- “Thanks for jumping into this assignment so quickly. What a great and productive trip. You guys work tirelessly, non-stop with all aspects of the set-up and execution. Your ability to master the technology is a game changer for us.”
- - Don A., Executive Vice President, Director of Architecture, Engineering and Technology
- “The scan helped tremendously and has saved us quite a bit of time and trouble.”
- - Gene A., Mechanical Integrity Engineer
- “[The Technician] did a good job of getting up to speed and working with little or no direction, which helped us concentrate on our other needs on site.”
- - Steve H., Project Manager