Lab Fit-Out Renovation with 3D Model
A 3D model will allow the client to design the lab space to be on trend with innovative tech tools, and space that can be re-arranged to accommodate tenant changes.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Task: Laser scan and 3D model a mixed-use building for fit-outs. A construction contractor was converting a former banking operations center into office space, retail space, data center space, and life science lab space.
- The life-science labs were in a shell-state and needed as-built documentation to complete fit-outs.
- The labs required MEP upgrades for an increase in mechanical requirements and design changes to accommodate an increase in floor load capacity, stiffness, and vibration.
- The design also required flexible floor plates to allow for additional shaft space for exhaust risers and tenant expansion.
- The Leica P40 ScanStation and RTC360 laser scanner captured the existing architectural and MEP features. A 3D BIM model gives the construction contractor the opportunity to design the details of the building virtually.
- The contractor was able to plan for the expansive MEP upgrades, including exhaust air handling units capable of 68,000 CFM, 7 RTUs capable of up to 25,000 CFM, 7 air handling units, 2 air cooled water chillers, backup generator, pH Neutralization room, and more.
- The design team was able to spec high performance infrastructure and ample loading capacity for tenants.
- A 3D model will allow the client to design the lab space to be on trend and include innovative tech tools and space that can be re-arranged on demand to accommodate tenant changes.
- A 3D model provides precise data to complete the fit-out with minimal change orders and a virtual model to communicate with the building owner.
- A well-defined project timeline, cost estimate, and construction sequencing plan will set this project up for success.
- Once completed, the 300,000 sq. ft. 4-story building will provide tenants the unique ability to house their offices, R&D/lab and GMPc facilities under one roof.
TruePoint Laser Scanning is dedicated to delivering the highest quality 3D laser scanning services, using state-of-the-art equipment, technology and processes. From conception to completion, we will provide exceptional service and work closely with clients to achieve practical 3D laser scanning solutions for their business.
What can we help you visualize?
Laser Scanning Images for Lab Fit-Out Renovation
The lab was in a shell-state and needed as-built documentation to complete fit-outs.
A 3D model provides precise data to complete the fit-out with minimal change orders.
3D model of building’s existing architecture.
Point cloud overlayed on 3D model.
3D model of building exterior.
The contractor was able to plan for MEP upgrades with the 3D model.